Archive for the ‘Word’ Category


Scenario

The client machine on which this happened was Windows 10 with Office 2016 (Pro Plus from Office 365) installed.  It started happening suddenly according to the user.  When Word, for example, would launch, an error text displayed that work files couldn’t be opened.  Additionally, if Word, etc. were trying to open existing files, they never loaded and an error was displayed that the file could not be opened.

Red Herring

I first thought it might be a permissions error, so I looked at permissions on folders and saw that the user not only had them but was also a local administrator.  To trouble shoot some more, I tried to give another domain user privilege, but THAT gave me a RPC error when I tried to add one of the enumerated users.  So I concentrated on domain membership.  For a while.  In fact, I was about to remove the client from the domain and re-add it, but thankfully did not.  It would not have solved the problem.

Next I decided to look at environment variables.  In particular, TEMP and TMP.  Both were correct with %USERPROFILE%\AppData\Local\Temp.  I reset them anyway but no luck.  Same errors.

What Did Work

The problem was registry settings.  I launched REEGEDIT and navigated to

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Current Version\Explorer\User Shell Folders

Look at Cache and Cookies.  On the client machine, these had values that began with C:\Users\<username>|Appdata\Local\Microsoft\…  I changed them to %USERPROFILE%\AppData\… and closed Regedit.

That made everything work.

I checked my own computer, which has a similar configuration, and the settings that did not work on the client machine worked fine on my own.  I am not sure why this is the case.  But never look success as your enemy, more like a virtuous being you will never understand,